For many homeowners, buying a high-quality vacuum cleaner is a good investment. Regular cleaning and maintenance will make your vacuum perform efficiently. To maximize its potential, read the following tips on how to clean vacuum cleaner.
The Vacuum Cleaner
A vacuum cleaner is a cleaning device that removes dust, dirt and other pollutants easily. Using this electronic device can give you the following benefits:
It makes the cleaning process well-organized.
This device can help you make a plan in cleaning your home/establishment. It is easier to follow your cleaning schedule when you have a reliable device.
It saves time, money, and effort.
An efficient vacuum cleaner can do all the cleaning process in a short period of time. It also requires less effort compared to manual cleaning.
It eliminates the risk of acquiring air-borne diseases.
Vacuum cleaners help improve the air quality in your home. Some vacuum cleaners have HEPA filters. These trap the fine particles that may trigger asthma and allergy symptoms.
Why do you need to clean your vacuum cleaner?
Your vacuum cleaner needs proper cleaning and maintenance to:
Function properly. Clean your device on a regular basis. Since it is a valuable investment, make sure it is working efficiently.
Save money. Failure to clean your vacuum cleaner might lead to more serious damages. Cleaning your device helps eliminate costly repair services.
Eliminate bad odors. If your machine is producing a bad smell, suspect that there’s a blockage in the system. This may also indicate faulty electrical cords.
Avoid replacement. Buying a new vacuum cleaning device can cost a lot of money. Regular cleaning and maintenance can keep your unit in optimal condition.
How to clean a vacuum cleaner?
Follow these steps when cleaning your vacuum cleaning machine:
1. Check and read the user manual.
There are different types of vacuum cleaners in the market. Make it a habit to check the user’s guide when performing different machine operations.
2. Unplug the vacuum.
It is important to unplug the machine during cleanup to prevent electric shock. This will also help protect the cord and the motor.
3. Remove the replaceable and washable parts of the machine.
- Remove the canister. This will help you reach the inside parts of the vacuum.
- Remove specialized attachments – a dusting brush, upholstery nozzle, crevice tool, etc.
- Remove the motor filters – pre and post-motor filters, HEPA filter. Note: The HEPA filter is not washable.
- Break down other removable parts.
4. Empty and clean the canister or vacuum bag.
- Open the bag.
- Take out all the accumulated dust and dirt. Put them into a garbage can.
- Close the bag and shake it out. You may also whack it against a hard surface.
- Reopen the bag and remove the excess dirt.
- Set it aside.
5. Get a microfiber cloth and soak it in vinegar mix or all-purpose cleaner.
Microfiber cloth is more hygienic compared to ordinary cloth. They are also a good substitute for expensive and harmful cleaning detergents. After soaking, squeeze the cloth to remove the excess water.
6. Wipe down the reachable parts of the vacuum.
- Start with the canister. Wipe down the inside and outside part of the vacuum bag. You can also wash the canister using warm soapy water (optional).
- Wipe down other parts of the vacuum – cord, wand, and attachments.
- Do not wipe the plug and other electrified components.
7. Clean and wash the filters.
Cleaning the filters is highly essential in vacuum maintenance. Dirty filters produce unnecessary odors and noise. Trapped dirt may lead to clogging and malfunctioning motor and parts. When cleaning and washing filters, follow these tips:
- Make sure you know if your filters are washable or not. Refer to the user manual.
- Wash the filters under running water.
- Brush the filters. Use a clean and soft brush in brushing. You may use your old toothbrush as a substitute.
- Soak them into a pail of water for 14-20 minutes. Do not use soap.
- Rinse them using warm water.
- Repeat brushing until fully clean.
- Let them dry overnight. If possible, bring them outside and dry under direct sunlight.
8. Clean the beater bar or roller brush.
- Remove the base plate to clean the beater bar. Use Phillips screwdriver to unscrew and expose the roller brush.
- Pop out the beater bar. If it doesn’t pop out easily, rotate it a number of times until it slides out.
- Lay down some old newspaper on your working area to collect all dirt and dust.
- Using scissors, cut and remove any threads or hair that are stuck in the bristles. Wear protective hand gloves.
- Disinfect the beater bar using a cotton ball soaked in alcohol (rubbing alcohol). Pay more attention to parts that come into contact with the floor.
- Do not rub the cotton swab on rubber parts.
- Spin the roller brush and continue wiping/disinfecting.
9. Clean the hose.
To clean the hose, do the following:
- Get a wire hanger and straighten it out. Make a slight curve at one end of the wire.
- Put it inside the hose and begin cleaning. Remove clogged dirt using the curved end.
- Dust the inside of the hose using an improvised broom. Be careful when doing this step.
- Disinfect the inner and outer parts of the hose with a vinegar solution. Tape a cotton ball at the end of the improvised broom.
- Rub the inside part of the hose using the taped cotton ball.
- Rub the outside part using a separate cotton ball soaked in a vinegar solution. You can do it using your bare hand.
- Let it (the hose) dry for one whole day.
10. Reassemble the clean parts and accessories.
Make sure they are all completely clean and dry. After reassembling, plug the machine into a power outlet and test if it’s functioning.
A well-functioning vacuum cleaner can make your cleaning tasks fast and enjoyable. You need to ensure all parts of your machine are clean and clogged-free.
Learning the right ways on how to clean vacuum cleaner is not a difficult task. Use the instructions provided above as your guide in cleaning your machine. Happy cleaning!
Hello there, and welcome to my vacuum cleaner blog! Here you will find the latest product reviews, the best home organization tips, clever cleaning hacks, and so much more. If you stick around, I think you will find the answers to the questions you’ve been looking for.
I have extensive industry knowledge of the most advanced vacuum cleaners out there and I can give you the most accurate and up-to-date information. I am committed to bringing you the best tips, the most in-depth reviews, and the most innovative home tips to get your house in tip-top shape in no time! Happy cleaning!